Thursday, June 23, 2011

My first day on my own...

Today was my first day on my own. I left the apartment of my generous host (who has allowed a virtual stranger to sleep on his couch) at around 9 am, and headed out. As i walked towards downtown, melancholy took over. It felt SO foreign, and Murray is getting further and further away. Again, as i walked, i questioned my sanity over doing this...

Basically, my plan was just to wander around and check out the town. I went into a few stores, checking out the closest corner store (it had lots of Vietnamese food... cool), and buying a 'Twix Ice cream Bar' for breakfast. Breakfast of champions. Hehe.

I ended up at 'Northern Transition' again... the store who will probably be making my parka for the cold season.. to dream. I may get another lighter jacket as well. Talked to the owner for quite a while.. a really nice guy named Long (from Vietnam). I hope i do get my parka from him. It will be rather expensive, but... *sigh* I will have to figure out how to do it. Damn. I mean.. i'm not sure if i can do this financially as it is... the daily things like food... But i kind of LIKE my extremities and don't feel like having them freeze off.. :-)

The Aboriginal Friendship Centre was a disappointment... In Vancouver, they have classes, and i took Pow Wow Dancing lessons. You can really get into the culture in Vancouver! Not so here in Yellowknife. They have nothing like that. *sigh* Now i'm not sure exactly how i'm going to learn more about the Dene & Inuit cultures up here. I was really looking forward to that. I guess i'll have to find ANOTHER way.

Did an hour of internet at the Library... Copied a few numbers to call, and checked on the room classifieds. No luck. There's nothing right now. I truly appreciate my host allowing me to land at his place.. And he's very nice too... But i REALLY need to have my own room. A place to put up my fairy lights & line the toys i brought up on a shelf or dresser top. A place to set up a table & hopefully paint again. A place to sit & write & be online. As much as it is convenient to be online at Javaroma, it will get pretty expensive, because i can't just sit there and not buy cafe mochas or food! If you don't buy their stuff, they'll go out of business and there won't BE free internet! So... i really need a room that has wifi. Heck... i just really need a ROOM!

And... i'm at the Library again. But i've done my hour allowance online, so i'm just writing now. Getting caught up so that i can post NEXT time i'm online!

Well, sorry for the boring posts lately. I'm still a bit... down, i guess. If you'll forgive me... This is my first time living on my own, my ENTIRE life, and i'm 52 (or is it 53 now... i keep losing track)! Maybe NEXT time i fly off to some remote destination on my own, i'll be more prepared. Practice makes perfect! Or maybe i'll just end up staying home. Hehe. Again.... We shall see what we shall see... :-) 

No comments: