Monday, June 27, 2011

I *heart* Yellowknife...

What can i say? I'm enamoured by Yellowknife! It's a quaint little city plopped in the middle of nowhere, in the Northwest Territories.


I took a walk from downtown City Hall, around Frame Lake to Walmart, on the other side. It was... honestly, a little disheartening. Not because it wasn't beautiful... it was... but because i'm worried that i'm going to fall in love with Yellowknife! In fact i can feel the stirrings already! I sat on the Precambrian rocks that used to be the world's first mountains, but have been worn down over millions of years by ice & water, to the round, breathtaking formations that i sat upon. I sat with tears flowing down my cheeks... this beautiful lake & rocks, right downtown... a feeling of urbanity AND complete wilderness in one... depending on which way i looked. I can't describe efficiently how 'taken' i am with this place! This is my 'backyard'!

A couple of days ago i walked down to Old Town. Well, of course it's utterly charming! It was the beginnings of Yellowknife... where the gold rush began here in the 1930's i believe . It's even more rocky than Frame Lake, and it's on the Great Slave Lake, just a few blocks from downtown. Old log cabins transformed into restaurants & stores... Raggedy Ass Road... and colourful houseboats out by the little island in the harbour that will freeze where they sit when winter comes, and be able to then drive to their frozen homes. Did i already mention this before? I probably did, but it's worth mentioning... AND seeing.

I met a very nice woman in Old Town as well. Laura Love (what a wonderful name!) and her husband Danny Hudson. He carves wonderful little bears, etc, and apparently she creates rosaries out of real rose petals! I will have to check those out next time i see her! So i have met a few really nice people. Slowly... slowly, as i begin to make my way here.

Oh, and just in case i hadn't mentioned it before... :-)

╔══╗
╚╗╔╝
╔╝(¯`v´¯)
╚══`.¸.Yellowknife ♥

:-)

No comments: