Saturday, July 10, 2010

Great White North Dreams & Plans...

This is my first post for this blog...

I’ve had this dream, on and off for many, many years now. More like a deep yearning. I feel like the Great White North is calling me. Amber... Aaaaaaamber... Which honestly perplexes me, because i’ve become SUCH a wimp living here in Vancouver, BC, a temperate rain forest. I grew up in Hamilton, Ontario, so i do know about snow. Problem is, i want to forget it. Twenty some-odd years here, and i’ve grown to expect that snow belongs on the top of mountains, and rain (and the occasional sunny day) belongs down here with me. If i want snow (and i don’t), i’ll go up on the mountain!

So, how on earth do i think that i can go live North of 60, by myself, in an igloo (kidding), with frigid cold & snow for a good part of the year, and lots of lonely darkness? I have no idea! I guess all i can do right now is dream (i am an incurable dreamer) and maybe, just maybe i’ll have the guts to follow through on the adventure of a lifetime. Move to Yellowknife, find a room, find a job, find some friends, and actually live that dream alongside the dancing lights!

Why Yellowknife? Well, considering i'm not American and couldn't live my first choice in Skagway, Alaska (i love the ocean), i had originally planned on Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. Because it’s a bigger city, has a big art scene, and.... well yeah, it has a Starbucks. There, i said it. But i was warned of standing water and bugs in Whitehorse, and that the bugs weren’t as bad in Yellowknife because of moving water. Don’t know how accurate that is, but once my brain was turned in the direction of Yellowknife, NWT.... well... you guessed it.... i HAD to have that polar bear shaped license plate for my car. Yes, that was the deciding factor. Bite me.

Sooooo, let’s just see what exactly i’m made of. No matter what that is though... Adventurous Animal or Whimpering Wuss... it will still be an adventure!

This is me... May/10... AA or WW? Only time will tell!


No comments: